Best Mens Watches Under the $1000 Mark
When you are looking to spend money on a beautiful watch and you want to keep it under $1000 you have a multitude of options when it comes to watch style, materials and features. In fact there are so many choices available that it can become overwhelming if you don’t know exactly what you are looking for. Choosing a watch solely on appearance is a common thing among consumers, but if you want to find a watch that you enjoy wearing for years to come, one that you may even want to leave to your kids, then you want to take the time to do a little research and make sure that you are purchasing a watch that will last and withstand the test of time.
Top Rated Watches Under $1000
We have done extensive research on watches that fall into the ‘under $1000’ category. After talking to industry experts and getting feedback from customers who have purchased watches in this price range we have compiled a list of the top five best watches for under $1000. Any one of these five will be rich in features, style and class.
The Citizens Blue Angels Skyhawk A-T Chronograph Titanium Watch is part of the Eco-Drive series and is full of features that are sure to please the wearer. This sleek titanium watch with blue and yellow accents has the style of an aviator watch and combines a sporty feel as well to appeal to a lot of different people. It is a rugged and well built watch that is designed to last with a dial that measures 45mm. Features include a low charge warning that will alert within 3 days of the stopping point, maximum power reserve of 180 days, a durable mineral crystal, a bold black dial with a Blue Angels logo on the black dial as well as the back of the case, and atomic timekeeping for maximum accuracy. The multi-band atomic receiver accepts signals from all over the world including North America, Asia and Europe and will provide world time in 43 different cities. There is also a perpetual calendar that makes this the perfect watch for those who travel a lot whether for business or pleasure. In addition to those features, you will enjoy a digital display light, 2 alarms, 1/100 chronograph (stopwatch) that can measure up to 24 hours. There is also a 99 minute countdown timer. The rotating slide rule bezel is also a convenient feature. This attractive and eye-catching watch will please even those who don’t appear to be watch aficionados. If you participate in water activities, this watch, that is water resistant to 200 meters (660 feet) is perfect for professional marine activities and sports such as swimming, snorkeling and water skiing, but is not for scuba diving.
Another winner from Citizen is this World Time A-T Limited Edition Stainless Steel Watch. The attractive dial has a world motif on it and the leather band is embossed with a stylish and attractive crocodile design. The watch dial measures 46mm, making it perfect for men of all sizes. This Japanese quartz movement watch with analog display provides more than style and fashion. It provides plenty of functionality too. Since this watch is powered by light, you will never need to worry about batteries. Some of the many features that wearers of this watch will enjoy include a protective, anti-reflective sapphire crystal for maximum scratch resistance, date window at the 3 o’clock position, dual time display, a world time function that is radio controlled and an easy to work fold over clasp with hidden double push button closure for plenty of durability. For those who participate in water activities, this watch is water resistant to 200 meters or 660 feet which means you can swim, snorkel, wash dishes, perform most professional marine activities and be out in the rain. Scuba diving is not recommended while wearing this watch.
Citizens is still going strong in our top five list of best men’s watches for under $1000 with this Altichron Titanium watch with a durable black rubber strap. This watch has the benefits of the Eco-Drive technology and combines it with a wide range altimeter that has a capability of 1000 to 32,000 feet. The electronic compass adds even more functionality for the adventure seeker. The lightweight titanium is accented with a black dial with orange accents that go well with the black rubber watchband. The hour and minute hands work independently from the altitude hands which enables the watch to displays the altitude or direction at the same time as the time of day. Features of this sleek watch include a power reserve indicator, anti-reflective crystal, slide-rule bezel, date window at 3 o’clock, screw back case and screw down crown that supports water resistance to 200 meters or 660 feet and is suitable for most water activities including recreational scuba diving. The mineral crystal is strong and durable; resisting scratches to keep it looking good as new.
If you are a diver, this is a watch that you will really enjoy. It has an extra large case and is fit with Swiss quartz movement. This watch was designed to be used by Search and Rescue divers and was built to withstand all kinds of conditions, even very extreme ones. Because of its size and features, it is known as the Jumbo Search and Rescue watch. It is rated water resistant down to 30 ATM which is 300 meters or 1000 feet. This heavy surgical grade stainless steel watch will not disappoint any who purchase it. The synthetic sapphire crystal resists scratches and has an anti-reflective coating that allows the wearer to see the dial as clearly as possible at all times. The watch’s hands and dial markers are painted with MaraGlo which is a photo-luminescent paint that is designed to illuminate the parts of the watch that are painted with it. MaraGlo does require charging and will glo for 8 hours by itself after it has been properly exposed to light. This authentic Swiss made military watch makes the perfect gift for anyone in the military, especially if they are part of the search and rescue team. The end of life indicator lets you know when the battery has reached the end of its life. A black rubber watchband is perfect for being in the water frequently and is durable and long lasting. You will definitely find that this watch gets the job done and you will look good while it does.
This striking watch from Citizens not only gives you a feature rich timepiece, you will be able to track the phases of the moon too and do it in style. The stainless steel case of this watch has rose gold tone accents and a brown crocodile strap to provide the ultimate in style and fashion. Everyone who sees this watch will have something to say about it. The black dial is the perfect backdrop for several sub-dials and the Moon Phase Flyback Chronograph that tracks the different phases of the moon. The 44mm dial is large and attractive but not so big that it looks foolish. Other features that this striking watch includes are 1/5 second chronograph (stopwatch) that measures up to 12 hours, 12/24 hour time, A second hand, date window at the 4 o’clock mark, and dual coated anti-reflective sapphire crystal that is the strongest crystal you can get to protect against nicks and scratches. Water resistance of this watch is to 100 meters so it is splash resistant and can handle some water activities such as swimming and snorkeling, but not scuba diving. You won’t have to worry about batteries with this watch since it is powered by light. If you know someone that loves to follow the moon phases, they will flip over this watch and all the other features it has as well.
What to Look for When Buying a Watch Under $1000
If you are like thousands of watch lovers that love mechanical watches, you will be happy to know that there are tons out there for you to choose from. Mechanical watches are more expensive than quartz movement watches, but the satisfaction level is much higher with mechanical as well.
Below we have provided several tips that can help a mechanical watch owner maintain and take care of their mechanical watch and keep it running to the best of its ability for years to come. By taking care of your watch, you have something that can be passed down as an heirloom, especially if care, time and money have been put into the selection you have made.
Winding Your Mechanical Watch
Winding your watch may seem simple in theory but there are a few tips that we have for you that will ensure it is wound correctly without doing damage to the watch and to ensure optimum performance.
- Wind your watch every day – If your mechanical watch has to be wound manually, make sure that you do it every day. By winding it fully on a daily basis, your watch will perform at the peak level and will not run low on energy. Make sure you wind it even if you are not going to be wearing the watch that day. The lubricants will not congeal when it is kept wound and that will keep the gears running smoothly.
- Wind the watch consistently – For the best results and performance, get into the habit of winding the watch at the same time every day. If you have a consistent morning routine that would be the best time to wind your mechanical watch each day, especially if you wear it on a daily basis.
- Wind the watch when it is not being worn- Wind your mechanical watch before you put it on your wrist each day. Winding it while it is on your wrist can result in unnecessary stress on the winding stem. That can cause long term damage to the winding mechanism.
- Don’t over wind – The best way to wind your watch is the start winding and continue to wind until you feel resistance as the mainspring is tightened. As soon as you feel resistance, make sure that you stop winding or you can break the mainspring.
Your Mechanical Watch and Water
Water can be a big factor in destroying your watch if you are not mindful of a few guidelines and tips. Make sure that you follow these important tips to keep your watch from becoming damaged or ruined by water.
- Make sure your watch is water resistant – You have to pay attention to the marking on your watch to make sure that it is water resistant. Even if the description states it is water resistant, unless the back of the casing is marked that it is (and it should have a rating as well) then treat the water as NOT water resistant. If it isn’t water resistant, you should avoid splashes, washing your hands with it on, showering with it on and other water involves actions and activities.
- Read the Manufacturer’s guidelines – The manufacturer of your watch will have information on how much water pressure they recommend is the most your watch should handle. Even if it is water resistant, that doesn’t mean water resistant across the board. There are many different levels of water resistance and which level your watch is at will determine what activities are truly safe for it to be worn.
- Pools can still damage your watch – It’s not only the water that can damage your watch. Chlorine can have a very negative effect on it as well so you may be better off not raking a chance and just keeping it off while you swim.
- Make sure the crown is in place – When you are underwater or when the watch is submerged, do not pull on the crown of the watch at all. It doesn’t matter if the watch is a diving watch or water resistant. Pulling the crown out while underwater will cause the water to get inside the watch and cause a big mess.
- Don’t shower with your watch on – Shampoo, conditioner and body wash can be harmful to the gears of your watch, even if it is water resistant. You are better off not wearing it while you are showering.
- Replace the Seals – Seals that resist and keep out water can age and crack with time. Regular maintenance and replacement of these seals when needed will keep the water resistance where it should be and will prevent any water from getting into the watch when guidelines are followed.
There are other things to watch out for than water when it comes to keeping your watch in excellent working order. We have suggested the following tips to ensure that your watch is protected from things that you may not have even thought about.
- Avoid strong magnetic fields – This is especially true if you work in the medical industry with all of the imaging machines and so on. Strong magnetic fields can cause your watch to act up and not keep time properly or cause it to stop working altogether. The watches that are more current have some level of magnetic resistance, so it is not the danger it would have been or used to be.
- Keep away from extremes – Whether it is extreme heat or extreme cold, they both can cause issues to your watch if you are not mindful of their effects. Going from really cold to really hot can cause the parts to expand and/ or contract which could very possibly damage the entire watch. Another problem comes from keeping the watch in the heat for extended periods of time. This can cause the lubricant to congeal and that will cause friction in the gears much like running a vehicle without oil can cause the engine to lock up.
- Still be careful with scratch resistant – Even of the watch you purchase says scratch resistant, you still need to be mindful of what your watch face comes in contact with. Dirt, rocks, chemicals can all cause damage over time and sometimes if the watch is dropped, it just may hit the ground at that perfect angle that even scratch resistance can’t help. Another thing that avoiding dirt and chemicals will do is prevent corrosion from getting to the watch and rust as well.
Maintenance is Important
Just like cars, and some other types of mechanical items, your watch needs regular maintenance to stay at its absolute best. Watches need regular cleanings, and some even need oiling and seal changing. A regular mechanical watch probably needs maintenance every 2 to 5 years. When you buy your watch, be sure to read the maintenance guidelines and recommendations for your watch. Following them will ensure that your watch continues to work at its peak performance level. If you take the watch into the water regularly, especially saltwater, you will want to get regular maintenance as well to ensure that the saltwater isn’t causing issues.
There are many things that you can do to take care of the watch that you decide to purchase. If you take these guidelines and tips into consideration then your watch is going to run better, last longer and provide the features and function you wanted it to when you first bought it. The best men’s watches under 1000 offer people a lot of variety, style, class and feature options. If you’re going to spend close to $1000 on a watch, or even $600-$800 you want it to have everything you are looking for in a watch. Don’t settle and you will have something that you can’t wait to put on each morning.